Accelerated Learning in SA
Programs for gifted and talented students in South Australia
Most gifted and talented students in South Australia are taught in mainstream classes using
differentiated curriculum (Enrichment, extension and acceleration).
Example of acceleration:
• Year-level extension
• Tertiary extension and enrichment pathways
The Ignite program supported by DECS
Three secondary schools provide accelerated learning for gifted secondary
students. The three schools are The Heights School, Glenunga International High
School and Aberfoyle Park High School.
Students who live outside the zone of these schools are eligible to apply to be
part of the program.
The Ignite program offers less review and repetition than in the regular
curriculum so students can vertically accelerate through middle school,
completing years 8, 9 and 10 in two years.
Alternatively, students can opt for a companion program that emphasises subject
acceleration and extension, rather than grade skipping.
Students are selected for entry into this program on the basis in an ACER
assessment (including mathematical ability, writing, comprehension and an
abstract reasoning test). When the results are returned from ACER, students are
invited to an interview on the basis of their ranking in the test.
DECS Special Interest Secondary Schools
• Brighton Secondary School (music and volleyball)
• Fremont Elizabeth City High School (music)
• Marryatville High School (music and tennis)
• Woodville High School (music)
• Adelaide High School (languages, cricket and rowing)
• Urrbrae Agriculture High School (agriculture)
• Charles Campbell Secondary School (performing arts)
• Heathfield High School (volleyball)
• Blackwood High School (netball)
• Seaton High School (baseball)
• Seaview High School (tennis)
• Mount Gambier High School (cricket, netball, football)
• Grant High School (baseball)
• Henley High School (Special physical Education and Sports school)
• Pasadena High School Underdale High School (soccer)
• Roma Mitchell Secondary College (cycling, hockey and soccer)
• Wirreanda (Special physical Education and Sports school)
• The Australian Science and Mathematics School (a specialist public school with
a special focus on science and mathematics for students in years 10, 11 and 12)
You can find select entry test dates and participating schools here: ACER.
Aim for top results? Find a
music teacher or a
Related: Select Entry Test Format
| NSW Select HS Entry Scores
| Selective Schools |
Past Papers |
Accelerated Learning VIC